PTSD Treatment in Florida
Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) occurs in those who have experienced or witnessed an extremely traumatic event like an accident, natural disaster, combat, crime, or terrorist act. It may also arise in individuals who have been threatened with sexual violence, serious injury, or death.
According to the American Psychiatric Association, PTSD affects about 3.5% of U.S adults every year. Also, one in 11 individuals will be diagnosed with PTSD sometime in their life. Those diagnosed with PTSD may relive the traumatic event through flashbacks and nightmares as well as avoid anything that reminds them of it.
Symptoms of PTSD
In general, there are four types of PTSD symptoms including:
- Re-experiencing symptoms: These occur when something reminds the individual of trauma and they experience that fear again. The most common examples of re-experiencing symptoms include flashbacks, nightmares, and frightening thoughts.
- Avoidance symptoms: Avoidance symptoms arise when the individual makes a conscious effort to avoid people or situations that remind them of the traumatic event. If they were in a car accident, for example, they might stop driving.
- Arousal and reactivity symptoms: These symptoms cause the individual to be on the lookout for danger. They may become easily startled, feel tense, or have trouble sleeping. Angry outbursts also fall into this category. :
- Mood and cognition symptoms: Mood and cognition symptoms refer to negative changes in feelings and beliefs. An individual may experience memory problems after the traumatic event, feel blame and guilt, have trouble concentrating, or no longer be interested in the activities they used to enjoy.
TOP RATED 200+ 5 Star Reviews
- kalena v. 1/21/2024I have been blessed with the opportunity to continue my healing and path of self-discovery, thanks to Compassions. Cameron, Heather, Vaneeta, Leah, Janene, Elena, Evo, Paul, Andres, Amanda, Kenya, Richie, Sarah, Jenny, Keith, Jennifer, Paula, Ramona, Tamika, Hailey, Danielle— I could keep going but you get the point— were all extremely supportive and caring. Everyone there is an asset to the programs offered. I feel stable and so much more self-aware. I cannot explain how grateful I am for each and every one of you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!read moreread lessDavid H. 1/19/2024I feel I have the best tools to stay sober. The approach from a behavioral therapist has given me confidence that I will stay sober. My case manager Romona has helped me to be prepared for the outside world. My therapist Liz has helped me address my mental health and needs related to sobriety.read moreread less
- kirstin s. 1/15/2024From the facilitators, clinical team, and techs; everyone was great! Very welcoming and compassionate. I would highly recommend this facility. They really help you get to the next stages of your life. A lot of changes have happened since being here and they were with me every step of the way!read moreread less
- Nicolas P. 1/01/2024After spending a month at compassions behavioral health in Oakwood , I’ve learned how to manage my emotions and better understand my substance abuse problem. The staff here are great and genuinely care about your needs. The therapist and case managers went above and beyond to ensure a successful rehabilitation. The techs are always checking on you and work hard to keep us on a routine. I have nothing but gratitude for compassions and would highly recommend this program to someone else who is struggling.read moreread lessTheRhino35 12/24/2023Amazing experience with incredible, caring people. I was treated really great by all the health and residential staff. Paula and Hailey really helped me find inner peace again. Tiki and Evo made sure I did not want for anything. My case manager Cameron was awesome. All techs and clinical staff were outstanding.read moreread less
- Kimberly F. 12/23/2023Great experience at CBH. I started on Residential level of care and stepped down to PHP and then IOP and completed the program in 40 days. I been to many centers before and the staff and program here is amazing. The facility is great and everyone is supportive. Thank you for giving me a second chance in life.read moreread less
- Mauricio P. 11/19/2023My best experience for SA treatment, by far. Rehab is not a comfortable situation in which to be in the first place, but the staff at compassion treated me with dignity and a caring disposition every day. For PHP there are rules and structure as is expected from a treatment program, but they were not intrusive and there was plenty of activities to cope with the constraints and make it much more bearable. I'm grateful for having been able to attend and complete the program.read moreread less
- Kristinne N. 11/19/2023Cameron was extremely helpful in all areas of my needs and got things needing to get done in a timely manner. Housing was clean and well kept. Tiki and Tamika were a blessing. All groups were insightful and helpful.. I would recommend anyone in need of help to call CBH. Thank you for all everyone's done for me....read moreread less
- Evan L. 11/12/2023I’ve been to treatment several times over the years for substance abuse and mental health. And CBH has by far done more for me than any previous treatment center. At the time I discharged I actually felt confident that I would do well. My therapist Vaneeta was excellent! And the group facilitators were top notch as well. I was set for success with great aftercare planning. I would highly recommend this program for anyone that is struggling with mental health or addiction!read moreread less
- Carlos A. 10/07/2023Hi, my name is Carlos and i was at compassions for about two months in 2021. my time there was something i had never experienced before but in the situation i was in it really helped me overcome it and move forward with my life. the main thing i always remember about compassions is the staff and the work they do. the patience and care that they treated us with showed me that they love what they do and care for us as regular people, we just sometimes go through it. one of my favorite group sessions was music mondays, we’d close out the day with music and what a song meant to us or made us feel. my main therapist krystel was really helpful in my journey, helping me understand my thoughts and my feelings and why they could be happening, without that i would always just feel overwhelmed. another group session we had was with a counselor named karla and she had us discuss certain events in our life’s (not in any specific way) but the overall aspect of it and learn from our reactions and reactions of others and different ways that we could approach it and countless things that helped us understand ourselves as people. overall my time at compassions was really a good time for me even though i wasn’t in the best place in life, so many things i learned and experienced while i was there that now i can share with people that need it and i know i can help them with the things i learned there. it’s been a couple years now and i joined the army and i’m on my way to start school like i envisioned while i was there and i have the proper and healthy tools for healthy coping mechanisms. it’s also been about two years since i finished my treatment and they still call to check up on how i am doing, for a while they stayed in contact with my mom also to see how i was doing and for all of those reasons i’m forever grateful for compassions and every single person that worked there.read moreread less
- Elise E. 9/08/2023Compassion is a great program. After trying 7 programs I found a home away from home at CBH. From the clinical staff to the tech staff you will receive the best care. Sean is a great case manager who will make sure things get done in a timely manager from STD requests to food stamps and more. I stayed at compassions a total of 35 days and cannot say enough good things about this program. You also have the opportunity to attend an outside gym 4 days a week, go to the beach twice a week and attend a life-changing church. THANK YOU COMPASSION team - FOR EVERYTHING.read moreread lessAmela M. 8/10/2023CBH has literally been a life changer . From the techs to the therapist and case managers , everyone has been super helpful and provided me with skills and tools to live a healthy, Sober life. A huge thank you to Hailey ( therapist) and Sean ( case manager) for always going out of their way to help me . Also, the techs at the residence were amazing. I would recommend anyone who is struggling to CBHread moreread less
- Allie C. 7/27/2023Tyler!!!!! You are the real MVP!!!! If Noone has told you how important you are to Compassion Health, I'm letting everyone know how amazing you are right now. I'm not a patient attending this facility but I am the wife of one. If anyone knows how hard it can be on the loved ones doing everything they can to make things run as smoothly as possible, it's hard. it's very hard. Tyler has done nothing less than amazing of making sure everything was taken care of to make sure my husband had a place to go in one of the hardest times of his life. So Compassion Health if your reading this, I just want you to be aware that your irreplaceable employee is the reason I chose you to help my family. So someone please give this man a pay raise, a all inclusive trip to Cancun Mexico and a gift card for iced coffees so he can continue to be great at what he does. If you havnt already, go by his desk and thank him for not only being a great employee but for setting an example of what the face of every facility needs to look like. Tyler!!! I'm giving you a hug from across the state right now!!!! Thank You So Much!!!!read moreread less
- Kristina C. 7/01/2023My time at CBH went above and beyond any and all expectations I had entering treatment. The staff at clinical always made themselves available to help with any issues or questions I had during my treatment. My therapist was incredible and really helped me with everything I brought to her office. The facilitators consistently had educational and informative groups and would be available after groups to talk one on one if needed. The BHT at the residence really showed care for us and made you feel like part of a community that cares about your wellbeing and recovery giving encouragement and care every single day. During my stay I truly felt cared for and part of a community that I will forever hold close to my heart. I wouldn’t trade the experience I had at CBH for anything in the world. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is looking for substance or mental health treatment.read moreread less